Thursday, July 22, 2010

Introduction

Where and how do you start these things the world calls blogs? Well for me I guess it will start out with who I am and why I am here. My name is John Anno I am 33 years old and I live In Galesburg, Illinois. I am happily married to Meredith my wife of 10 years this year; we have three children and live a pretty normal life.

I was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes when I was a teenager and have lived my life with the diagnosis without ever looking back. Did the diagnosis really mean anything to me at all? No not really wow great I have a family disease rack it up for the record books. Oh, the intelligence of youth lol you always hear hind Sight is 20/20 well yes in this case it definitely is. Diabetes to me was not a disease or a burden it was something to forget about and get on with my life; this however is a bad mistake to make. I sit at my computer writing this new page in my life three months after being diagnosed with Diabetic Neuropathy.

Talk about a wakeup call in your life, “Hey you know all those pains you have been having? They are because you did not take care of a major medical condition and now you are going to pay for it.” You hear all these warnings about diabetes and you also live your life by a needle stick but does it really sink in how serious the disease is? Just how do you reach a teenager? If I could make a suggestion I would explain to them their condition is life threatening and their choices will affect them for the rest of their lives and that the choices may end their life even sooner. If someone had grabbed my attention maybe I would be better off now, instead I live with constant pain in my arms and legs while the rest of the world looks at me like I am insane because by all appearances I am a normal human being. You do not have pain it is all in your mind. The pain segregates me away from everyone else the best way I can explain this is I am lonely even with my family here at home as they do not understand the pain.

Well I hope I have not scared anyone away already on the first post. I am not sure if this will be a daily or a weekly blog as of yet. For the first few days I will post daily so that I can learn to develop this new section of my life. I have been doing a lot of research on Diabetic Neuropathy and Diabetes in general and would be happy to share with you any information I see. Some of my posts may be about articles I have read on new research being done to find a cure for us. Who knows maybe I will just ramble for paragraphs on end making no sense at all, guess you will have to keep reading to find out won’t you.

1 comment:

  1. Great 1st post John!! I shall keep reading with interest!!
    Bec

    ReplyDelete